Friday, January 26, 2007

Dressing down

It's dress-down day in work today, which means it's off with the ancient formal black trousers that I refuse to replace (despite being no more than a micron thick through years of ironing) and the cheap cotton shirt, and into an altogether more comfortable combo of T-shirt and jeans. Call me a revolutionary but I think it's possible to still look smart without locking myself into a collar and tie and am of the opinion that the quality of my work in no way suffers as a consequence. If anything, the opposite is true as the freedom to breathe while I type can only ever be of benefit.

Happily, ties in the office are rapidly becoming the exception, rather than the rule and generations to come will look back at office workers of yesteryear and wonder what on earth they were thinking. They should bring in dress-down days for other occupations, like newsreading and undertaking. Huw Edwards delivering the day's events in an old gardening T-shirt, or a funeral director formally leading a procession of sobbing relatives in a casual lemon-yellow polo shirt, a pair of denims and some of those funky trainers with flashing lights in them, would add a degree of light-heartedness to traditionally sombre affairs. He could keep the funny hat on as a mark of respect if desired; you might have to make some concessions.

2 comments:

Helen Schneider said...

Stevie!!!! I just found your blog through Dan's, which I found through John's - yeah long route to get to you I know!!!! How are you?????

Stevie C said...

Snakes alive! It's Mrs Schneider! God, how long has it been? I'm trying to remember the last time I saw you and can't cos it's been yonks...

I'm exceedingly well and living with my luvverlee faahmily - the lovely Paula, the mischievous Jake and soon-to-be (three weeks away) Anna. We moved to Wiltshire just before Christmas and life is pretty sweet as it 'appens! Give me your email address or drop me a line at stevecollier1973@yahoo.co.uk to let me know all about. (I know you shouldn't put your email address on blogs but with my readership in single figures, I don't think I'll be getting deluged...)