Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Slipping into Work

For around the past two years I have a recurring paranoid thought on the way to work: am I wearing slippers? Because family life results in a bit of a morning rush, there is a need to be mentally on-the-ball, and I know one day I’ll forget to do something fundamental. I’m convinced this will be not changing out of casual household footwear into a sensible pair of shoes/boots.

The paranoia can strike at any time between leaving the house and arriving at the office and I have no choice but to check my feet whenever the thought occurs.

If walking, a swift glance down at my feet will go relatively unnoticed. If on a train, I can pretend to be momentarily fascinated by something on the floor. As I drive to work these days though, it requires taking my eye off the road, if only for a second or two, which is potentially hazardous. Maybe the answer is to set up an elaborate system of mirrors just to put my mind at ease.

No comments: