Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hairy Situations

There was a cure for baldness on telly the other night. Clever men in white coats with glasses as thick as glacier mints have developed a cream that stimulates the follicles into action. A couple of smears on the head and hey presto – instant hair (well, perhaps not instant, but that doesn’t make it any the less remarkable). Next week they’re tackling alchemy.

Despite sporting a hairline that, from the front resembles the swooping curves and lines of a tennis ball, I don’t think I’d be inclined to try it. I’ve gotten quite used to my hairless head and the face on the front of it that peers back at me from the mirror every morning. A more hirsute version would be unfamiliar and a bit unnerving. Also, in an effort to retain a bit of integrity, I think if I'm naturally sparsely-haired then I shouldn’t fight it, and if this means not having the cascading locks of yesteryear, then that’s just the way it’s meant to be.

Similarly, using laser surgery to correct my vision resulting in the need to no longer wear glasses doesn’t really appeal either, but for different reasons. Glasses are as much a part of my face as the mole on my cheek or the slightly protruding upper lip and an unbespectacled me would feel quite facially-naked and featureless without them. I was meant to peer at the world through a pair of strategically-milled lenses, and to be honest, I quite like wearing them as it gives a touch of personality to an otherwise fairly featureless face (apart from the mole and the slightly protruding upper lip).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'fairly featureless face'....what a load of tosh! You are absolutley yummy my lovely-love. Oh it's your wife here by the way ha ha! You thought you scored hey ha ha!