Friday, February 13, 2009

"With [luke]warmest wishes"

"Happy 100th Birthday!” bore the message on a card I spotted while ambling round one of those cheap card shops the other day.

While the specificness of cards is a good thing, I can’t help but think the market for those commemorating such a comparatively rare event is fairly limited, and I’m surprised that some manufacturer somewhere has deemed it to be economically viable to print a stash of them up.

Apparently, there are about 8,000 centenarians in the UK. Given that the population of Trowbridge is about, ooh, at a guess… 28,163, there’s probably about three or four of them knocking around the local area. The chances of well-wishing relatives of selecting a card to commemorate such a monumental achievement of longevity from a crap collection in a sub-Clintons “three-for-a-quid” card shop is, however, I believe minimal.

If I hit 100 years old, I’d want Olympic-style fireworks and cards hand-fashioned from pulp from the rarest trees; not some wafer-thin half-hearted tawdry effort which I’d be embarrassed to display on the mantelpiece.

It didn’t even come with one of those flashing badges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought one for my daughter after 100 days on the planet.