Friday, July 20, 2007

The End For Harry P

After a two year wait, the final installment in the Harry Potter canon is finally out tomorrow. Personally, I’m a big fan. The literature’s not half bad, though I’m particularly grateful for the notions it’s actively promoted over the course of ten years that it’s cool to wear glasses and that ginger people can have friends too (all I need is for the little fella to go prematurely bald and I’ll instantly be Mr Cool).

Cheery-faced laughmeister J K Rowling should be applauded for encouraging an entire generation of kids (and their parents) to pick up books, which in these days of distractions such as violent computer games, t’internet chat rooms and 2,000 channels of shite on telly, can’t be underestimated.

Apparently, as a result of penning the escapades of the boy wizard over the last decade, she’s now worth £350 million, which isn’t bad for an idea that just popped into her head while she was sitting around the kitchen table.

We haven’t got a kitchen table. (This I believe to be the root cause of why we don’t also have £350 million.) Though now the Harry saga has concluded and there’s a bit of a void to fill, I think it might be a good time to get one. In fact, even without the benefit of a kitchen table, I’ve already had a germ of an idea – it’s about this 34-year-old wizard called Steve who goes to this mystical office five days a week in a non-flying car etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...blimey I'm hooked...tell me more ha ha!