Friday, January 12, 2007

Muzak to my ears

I've recently re-discovered The Housemartins. My wonderwife bought me a Greatest Hits CD (though to call it greatest hits, would be stretching the truth a little) for Christmas.
They wore cardigans, were the unlikely launch pad for Fat Boy Slim (in the days when he was just a goofy bass player called Norman), came from less-than-glamorous Hull, hated playing live and took their Marxist message to the masses via the disposable medium of jangly three minute pop. "How come you wear Rupert Check when you think you're so hard?" Brilliant. I'd urge anyone to buy it...

Below are three other musical opinions I harbour:

- Roy Orbison had a crap voice. An impressive range, but he sounded like your grandad breaking into song after one too many festive sherries
- A-ha were actually quite good and wrote some cracking songs
- Brown-Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is an over-rated pile of horseshit
- Prince (or "symbol" or whatever the cheeky little purple fella's called), for all his touted musical genius, hasn't actually written that many good songs.

But then musical taste is subjective I suppose...

No comments: